Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips for Identifying Scholarly Articles
Scholarly sources generally have the following characteristics:
- Authors: authors tend to be researchers or experts with PhDs in an academic field
- Language: targets a specific audience and use subject-specific language or terms
- Content: articles report on a study, original research, or experiments and often contain raw data in the form of graphs, charts, or statistics
- Methods/References: authors detail the methodology of their study and cite their sources in length footnotes or bibliographies
- Publishing: articles/books are reviewed by a board of editors (peer-review) before being published in professional/academic journals or a University Press
Off-Campus Database Access
When you are at home, you will be asked to enter your ACE account information before our databases load.
Step 1: Explore Your Topic
Explore concepts and background information in these subject-specific encyclopedias. It's credible Wikipedia!
Opposing Viewpoints (Gale in Context)
Find popular and scholarly articles, essays, and statistics on current controversial topics.
Step 2: Become Experts on Your Topic
Search magazine, news, and scholarly articles from a variety of inter-disciplinary databases provided by EBSCO.
Scholarly articles in the humanities and social sciences.
Use all ProQuest databases to find a mix of local, national, and alt-press newspaper articles. You can also limit your searches to retrieve only peer-reviewed, scholarly journal articles.
Find a specific journal by title or browse through the list of sociology journals to which the library subscribes.
Step 3: Supplement Your Knowledge
Films on Demand
Find films and short clips on a variety of topics.
Educational videos. Try browsing the Sociology section.
How to Read a Scholarly Journal Article