Borrowing Library Materials
A student identification (ID) card with current semester sticker or validation attached to the back of the card, or current registration receipt is required for borrowing.
Note: Current online receipt printed from the LACCD student information system along with a driver's license or California ID card is acceptable.
Borrowing Library Materials from CalState, LA
Agreement with California State University, Los Angeles
The Helen Miller Bailey Library has a reciprocal agreement with California State University, Los Angeles whereby E.L.A.C. students may use and check out library materials by showing a current E.L.A.C. student ID card, or a current registration-fee receipt.
The John F. Kennedy Memorial Library is located at 5151 State University Drive Los Angeles CA 90032-8300. Tel. (323) 343-3988.
For CSULA's loan and fee policies, click here.
Directions to CSULA: http://www.calstatela.edu/misc/trans/index.php
Campus Map: http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/maps/cslamap.php
Overdue messages and similar notices will no longer be mailed through the U.S. Postal Service to you by the main campus library.
For the time being, the South Gate campus library will continue to send circulation notices via mail.
Maximum Items Checked-Out
- Book: 10
- Reference book: 0
- Periodical: 5
- Paperback: 5
- Pamphlet: 5
- Textbook/Reserve: 2
- Overnight textbook: 2
- ITV: 1
- DVD: 3
- Book: 14 days (up to 30 days for faculty)
- Reference book: room use only
- Periodical: 7 days
- Paperback: 14 days
- Pamphlet: 7 days
- Textbook/Reserve: 2 hours, room use only
- Overnight textbook: 1 day
- ITV: 7 days
- DVD: 7 days
Note: Materials may be checked out until 15 minutes prior to closing time.
- Book: 10 cents/day
- Reference book: $1.00/day
- Periodical: 10 cents/day
- Paperback: 10 cents/day
- Pamphlet: 10 cents/day
- Textbook/Reserve: $1.00/hr
- Overnight textbook: $1.00/day
- ITV: $1.00/day
- DVD: $1.00/day
Maximum Overdue Fines
- Book: $40.00
- Reference book: $100
- Periodical: $10.00
- Paperback: $10.00
- Pamphlet: $5.00
- Textbook/Reserve: $250
- Overnight textbook: $250.00
- ITV: $25.00
- DVD: $50
- Book: 1
- Reference book: 0
- Periodical: 1
- Paperback: 1
- Pamphlet: 1
- Textbook/Reserve: 0
- Overnight textbook: 0
- ITV: 1
- DVD: 1
Note: Violation of "Room Use Only" policy is subject to possible suspension of library privileges.
Lost Items & Processing Fee
- Book: $40.00+$10.00
- Reference book: $100.00+$10.00
- Periodical: $10.00+$10.00
- Paperback: $25.00+$10.00
- Pamphlet: $5.00+$2.00
- Textbook/Reserve: $150.00+$10.00
- Overnight textbook: $150.00+$10.00
- ITV: $25.00+$5.00
- DVD: $30+$10
Circulation Desk Telephone: 323-265-8758
Lost Books and Damaged Materials
Lost Books Policy and Procedures
A book is considered lost when it is listed in the database as "Checked Out/AsmLost". A hold is placed on the student's record. The student can have the hold lifted in one of the following ways:
- Paying a processing fee of $10.00 plus the current cost of replacing the book. The price can be ascertained by checking either one of the following web sites: "www.amazon.com" or "www.barnesandnoble.com". If the title cannot be found, it is probably out of print. See the collection development librarian to determine the price to be set.
- Buying a replacement copy, the edition to be specified by either the collection development librarian or any other librarian (The processing fee and outstanding fine must still be paid).
Damaged Materials Policy and Procedures
- Generally, the library does not check out damaged materials
- However, when checking out any material, it is the responsibility of the borrower to inspect the item and to alert the library staff to any damage prior to taking the material out of the library
- For any library material that is returned damaged, a replacement fee is charged equal to the current cost of the item plus a processing fee
- The collection development librarian determines the actual cost of the damaged item